Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First Post

So, this is my first post ever. My first blog ever. Basically, I am experiencing what Shklovsky termed defamiliarization (the idea that art is supposed make us experience and look at things as though we had never looked at them before.) Think about how you would describe a computer if it was the first time you had ever seen it!! Tolstoy is one of the writers that did this best. Anyways, hopefully this page will challenge you to think about this idea. I am hoping to learn a lot about it myself. Before I get background info regarding this concept and ways it has been applied and is currently applied in culture, I want to hit you all with something to start. I love hip hop music. Personally, I have stopped listening to a lot of secular hip hop, but one song that recently came out made me think about this art form. You may have heard of it. It is by a guy named Eminem. The song is called "Love the Way You Lie." Check it out. It was totally a new way to look at a domestic abusive relationship. Definitely not the prettiest form of art, but still relevant. Look at the video and see if the lyrics make you think about the relationship in a different way than you ever have before.

Watch the video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment