Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A house that made me look twice!

So, I was in my Spanish class today. We looked at an artist named Antoni Gaudi. He was most known for his modernist art as an architect; however, as I looked at his work I couldn't help but think about Shklovsky. If the purpose of art is to "shock" us out of everyday life and to see things again as for the first time, take a look at this!!! Talk about a whole new way to look at a house! Again, as I have thought about this site and the direction that I want to take it, I feel like I am being drawn more and more to collecting different objects (whether that be architecture, literature, film, television, or attire) within our culture that should be considered art due to the fact that they are consistent with Shklovsky's idea that the purpose of art is to make us unfamiliar to those objects and ideas that we have become habitualized to throughout our lives. Anyways, I feel like this is a great example of a piece of architecture that should be considered art due to the aesthetic beauty of the piee itself and the way that it causes its viewers to look at it for a prolonged period of time in order to become familiar with it. All in all, it is a great example of an object that has a defamiliarizing effect on us as viewers. Everything about the structure does this, especially when compared to the houses that are next to it. What ya think?

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting blog! I look foward to reading more. Great job. This is a really cool house. We don't see this type of architecture just anywhere. ... Candy Otts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff! I saw this commercial and thought of you. Use it in a post!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYfPNL2vmjc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro thanks for the commercial post...I will be posting something soon about ole Dairy Queen

    ReplyDelete