Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Something interesting....

Look at this: The Case of Allusion

So, I was looking through journals and articles on the database called Project MUSE (great source for info btw), and I came across a very interesting article discussing defamiliarization within Biblical passages. Within the particular article, the author presents evidence of the distinction between prose and poetry using Biblical narratives and Homer's "oral epics" (quoted from the article). He makes the claim that Robert Alter's study, The Art of Biblical Narrative, shows that the Bible is consistent with Shklovsky's idea of defamiliarization while Homer's tales are consistent with the aesthetic principle of familiarity. It seems very interesting to me and may be a stepping stone for me to begin looking at more evidence of this thought that the Bible is loaded with passages containing defamiliarization. However, I do not know yet if this will be the ultimate direction of my blog.

(Certain language from the above passage was paraphrased from the article I found on project MUSE. (The link is located at the top of the post!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment